The Den of Discourse

The Den of Discourse (http://www.dave.co.nz/forum/index.php)
-   Guestbook / Forum (http://www.dave.co.nz/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shaun Joyce (http://www.dave.co.nz/forum/showthread.php?t=27)

Dave 23rd August 2004 05:44 PM

Shaun Joyce

It is with great sadness that I must tell you about Shaun Joyce, the poster of the previous message in my guestbook. Shaun had a heart attack and died this morning.

Shaun was a very close friend to myself and many other people. As he mentioned in his guestbook message, he features in some of the stories at this website from our younger days. I have many fantastic memories of this outstanding human being. Shaun touched many lives and will be sorely missed.

Farewell Shaun. Rest in Peace.

Dave

Dave 28th August 2004 11:21 AM

Re: Shaun Joyce

It's now Saturday, the day after Shaun's funeral. It was a great service and Shaun is at rest in a beautiful country cemetery at Silverdale (North Auckland).

I'd personally like to thank everyone involved in the day, especially all our good friends who supported each other in this time of grief.

One thing that took me by surprise yesterday was the number of people who had visited this website and seen my message about Shaun. Since search engines are a big part of my business these days it was particularly stupid of me not to realise that since Tuesday my message was the most relevant Google result for "Shaun Joyce". I'm really sorry to all of those people who came here looking for information about Shaun - if I had been more on the ball I would have done better.

Anyway, I hope I can help make up for this oversight in another way. I'm very keen to collect material from people who knew Shaun such as stories, memories, photos, relevant poems.... whatever. I still need to speak to Shaun's family about what exactly we're going to do with this collection but ideas include an online memorial and/or printed remembrance book. If anyone would like to contribute anything at all I'd love to hear from you.

Watch this space for an update on this project.

Dave

Petra Paignton and Amber Ruve Skye 1st September 2004 06:08 PM

I have just heard this news an hour ago. Myself and Amy (aka Ruve, to some) are stunned at this awful news, and wish we'd had known earlier as we would have attended Shaun's funeral.

Ruve and I worked with Shaun in Hamilton at Trac's, and we have very fond memories of him. He was a magnanimous and exuberant guy, and will be deeply missed. Our hearts go out to his family.

We would like to contribute some stories and memories of Shaun for your memorial, Dave, if that is okay with you.

I'm gutted. I'm really having trouble believing this...

As John Donne wrote in one of his Elegies,
"Language thou art too narrow and too weak
To ease us now, great sorrows cannot speak..."

Farewell, Shaun. :(

Dave 3rd September 2004 05:17 PM

Thanks very much for your message. Shaun had an influence on a huge number of people and it's amazing how many people have contacted me in the last week.

We are currently organising an online memorial for Shaun. If anyone wants to contribute anything at all (text, photos, etc) please let me know. Nothing is too small or too big.

The memorial is taking shape at www.teawamutu.co.nz/memorial/shaun-joyce

You can contact me by any of these means:
- Reply to this message
- Email: mail AT dave DOT co DOT nz
- Phone (+64) 07 870 1966
- Snail-mail PO Box 128, Te Awamutu, New Zealand

Thanks
-dave