Home > Forum, Guestbook & Blog
Old 20th December 2005, 11:59 PM   #1
p horne
mountain rock

Hi there! I am the wife and sisterinlaw of the family who's farm held the first 2 m/rock festivals in ballance, woodville. Have just been talking about it tonight and I guess there are not a lot of photos about. Have asked for a copy of a home made video of the first concert.
Lots of fun and hard work and still finding artifacts in the dirt of the concert paddock. Glad you were there! I guess that makes you famous.
Merry christmas,
Pythia and Robert Horne.

Old 11th February 2006, 04:17 AM   #2
Paul Campbell
Re: mountain rock

Hello Hello
was in net surf mode here in Minnesota US where i have lived these past 8 years or so with my wife Julie and came across your message HI to everyone from those days..i often think back on those shows and have to say that the shows at Ballance were the best ..despite..the mega buck events on the other side of the hill i always found you People to be Honest and sincere in your way of doing things....we had our moments but after all this time i still believe in what i set out to do back then....isn't it amazing what has happened to the NZ music scene since...i wonder if another MT rock would be in order some day
Take care all..and peace to you all

Old 20th February 2006, 12:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the message guys, I would certainly be interested to know of any videos or photos of these great events. I'm surprised there isn't more of a record.

It was such a fantastic venue!

Old 20th February 2006, 12:34 PM   #4

Hey Paul, great to hear from you. Those were legendary concerts - you really achieved something special I think.

Your message brought back a bunch of memories for me. Funny how you forget things for so long and then suddenly it all comes back.

I'd be a starter for another MT Rock, but maybe just as a punter this time

Old 6th February 2007, 12:00 AM   #5
loved mountan rock

hi all

i loved mountain rock...as audience and performer.
the whole feel of the thng was great....met you all...., plus the bands...various creatures too..

First one i performed at was MR2, in vas defren.s stage 2.... crazy gig...crazy band......always fun and never a dull moment with those guys.

MR 1996, was good for me..and the ne i still have most info on.i had two bands there....Quiet Earth ( a fact here, that band 's front man singer was cohen holloaway...the well known comedian and soon to be famous actor about town ) and my cowpunk band, Cucumber....both bands did very well on 2nd stage... but i was rather surprized (with Cucumber ) how well Bullfrog blues (rory gallagher) & still alive and well ( rick deringer).....they went down a bit disproportionally well...maybe it was just the timing.in that we'd gathered the crowd by that time...i fund it strange too the bikers seemed to know my original harley davidson man song ... ditto with the "yeah ha" song.... very loud on stage....I was very lucky and had who i consider one of the best guitarists i'd ever met...as my roadie..Phil Doherity... geat guy.

Daniel herlihy i saw most that say...him being the boss an all of stage 2.
It was good both Paul lloyd and Nick Madden were there...both had worked with my previous bands in the studio....Nick too by the way.....did sound the previous year MR, for my Little Creatures band.......he'd had the privalage that time of travelling up squashed into the back of Holden VL GTS.... (what a car at the time )... he remained alive enough to mix the sound ... by the way, Cohen Holloway was the front man for that band too

That MR3 for LC was funny for me... i had left my bass behind...thanks Danial (Michelle Cole's ???'s son ) for lending me his ibanez silver series i think it is........nice bass thanks dude if you're out there .

have good video footage of that gig.... that gig also had Kevin Borrich...it was him that inspired me to get Cucumber together...and do something with that band...funny that we play the same songs..... but i already had the Strat and firebird hahahaha

good memories.

If any need to contact me am
Old 5th October 2007, 06:31 PM   #6
Shaelie Kreymborg
Mountain Rock Memories

O my the memories come flooding back mudslidding, the rain song the making of history, I was logging into my myspace page and noticed Peter Garrett's Tips on ozzy gardening so I clicked in for a look, started pondering the Mountain Rock Festivals,. typed in Paul Campbell into search have been wondering for years where he went and how come I havn't spotted him and or Michelle my fave friend from Palmy North somewea in the last 10 years or so,.. Minnesota,. that xplains Y,.yea Paul doit again make a mountain ROCK again, I'm still a groupie only a more professional groupie these days building a musician/gig photography service partially for profit (read survival) partially to dedicatedly record another 10/20/30,... 50???? years of NZ music history,. I didn't have a camera @ Mountain Rock if I had I would have surly been side of stage capturing,. it's my favourit thing,
have a look @ my space page www.myspace.com/qwinkos and Paul if you read this post I'd love to hear from you and maybe find Shel she so knew how to rock a party
my email addys qwinkos@gmail.com or colouredpanda@hotmail.com
Take care out there everybody and thankyou for the amazing and inspirational experience of Mountain Rock, may the legend live forever!
Old 30th January 2008, 07:06 PM   #7
Rocking memories and Poster Dreams...

Originally Posted by Paul Campbell View Post
HI to everyone from those days..
Gidday Paul... and all you other Mountain Rockers...

I recall those days well... I was cutting my teeth as a typesetter and graphic designer when MR2 was running, and was privileged enough to be part of the company who did all the passes, tickets, posters and stuff for MR3 & MR4... They were glorious days!

In fact, I still have a mint condition MR3 1994 Limited Edition poster! (Labelled #50 of 500... but in reality only 200 Ltd Ed posters were ever produced, so it's really #50 of 200!)

Was actually thinking I might put the poster up for sale on TM or something... it's great to have, but right now the $$$'s are needed more.

Somewhere, I even still have my MR3 Backstage VIP pass! (But I'm keeping that forever!)

If anyomne is interested in the poster, feel free to email me via my website: www.teknofile.co.nz...

Rock on!