Home > Forum, Guestbook & Blog
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th October 2006, 01:49 PM   #8
Dave
Your friendly local necromancer

Here's something I came across today. It's from the Dungeons & Dragons instruction manual, explaining how to make a prophecy. I hope you enjoy the last line as much as I did:

Quote:
Making a Prophecy

What's the point in being a prophet if you never get anything right? The trick to creating a prophecy is to bury it in symbols or metaphors that, after the fact, become perfectly obvious. The more specific you are, the more likely it is that you will get something wrong.

Don't use names, use titles. Instead of saying "King Derath of Veronia" say something like "Veronia's Lord" or better yet, "the lion of Veronia" or even "the lion of the East."

Don't use dates that occur only once; use times of the year, seasons, or celestial events. So instead of saying "March 15th of the year 635," say something like "Beneath the third moon" or "when winter's grip weakens in the fifth year."

Use metaphors instead of clear statements. Don't say "dies" or "is killed," say "falls into darkness," "stands before his fathers", or "goes into the night."

Add a random, unconnected remark, such as "the traitor sees it all" or "Now the door stands open to the night."

Here's an example:

When rises the red moon above the North,
The lion of Veronia ceases his roar.
Three times three are slain,
Rose petals fall from the elf maiden's hands.

These images could mean almost anything. The red moon might be a specific season or celestial phenomena, or a metaphor for "war." The lion of Veronia might be its king or a Veronian-born hero. The rose petals could be flowers strewn on a grave, or perhaps drops of blood; so was the elf maiden grieving for the slain or was she actually their murderer? It worked well for Nostradamus, you can make it work for you.