Home > Forum, Guestbook & Blog

Go Back   The Den of Discourse > Dave's Blog

Old 27th November 2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Your friendly local necromancer
New Zealand All Blacks Haka Before Wales Test

The All Blacks don't have any obligation to perform the haka but I'm a bit worried about this incident.

First of all I'm not happy with the All Black camp saying the haka is for the team and not the crowd. Pull your heads in boys, everything you do is for the crowd.

I'm also concerned about how this makes us look. Frankly I think there's more than a whiff of arrogance about the whole thing. Apparently we're so important that we can perform whatever we like, whenever we like, and the hosts can get stuffed.

It's Welsh turf and I can't see why the Welsh people can't decide which order things happen in. I suspect we would be a bit put out if the Welsh came here and stated acting like they owned the place.

It seems like a fair compromise to say that the hosts get to decide on the program. If we don't like it we don't have to play there.
Old 15th December 2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Smile the haka

Hm... a bit late, I am afraid, but I kind of disagree. It is not a matter of the program, I think that performing the haka or whatever thing they want to do is something that belongs to the players and no one ought to say "you must perform the haka after your national anthem but before ours". I think that performing the haka in the changing room was saying "we do choose" and the right thing to do.