Home > Forum, Guestbook & Blog

Go Back   The Den of Discourse > Dave's Blog

Old 14th March 2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Dave
Your friendly local necromancer

New Zealand Sperm Donations & Gay Genes

Boy, this is a can of worms. I think the implications are much more far-reaching than is being reported at the moment.

First of all, fertility service Fertility Associates has agreed to accept sperm from gay men after a complaint to the Human Rights Commission.

In the past, HIV was the concern but now it's just about being gay.
Canterbury University associate professor of genetics Frank Sin has suggested that recipients should be told when the donor is gay, and warned that the "gay gene" could be passed on to the child.

That doesn't sit well with Gay Association of Professionals spokesman Allan-John Marsh, who called the suggestion "insulting and pathetic".

It needs to be noted that there is a fair bit of evidence in favour of the gay gene. Although human studies are lacking and it may turn out to be a load of rubbish, animal studies have been convincing enough to warrant more research. In any case I don't think the issue is whether such a gene (or combination of genetic elements) exists, but whether it's appropriate to worry about passing it on.

I wonder how most of us would vote if this issue was put to a referendum. Frankly, if I was in the market for a phial of sperm, I think I'd like to know if it's gay sperm. That may not make me completely PC but it's the way I think.

I suspect it's the way a lot of people think as well.
Old 28th March 2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Dave
Your friendly local necromancer

The Gay Gene

An interesting piece on 60 minutes last night focused on the latest research findings about gay genes, hormone influence, etc.

Although the research still has a long way to go, there is one fact that is becoming almost impossible to dismiss: Being gay is not usually a choice. Although choice may be a factor in some cases, the evidence is overwhelming that it is a physiological part of the person.

Assuming the research continues to support the current findings, it will be interesting to see how the religious right reacts to it. It really puts the acid on the "homosexuality is unnatural" argument. It's going to be a pretty hard argument to support if the evidence conclusively shows that it is indeed completely natural.

On the other hand, we know for a fact that the earth is billions of years old but that doesn't stop the religious right claiming that it's a mere 6000 years. I guess if your self-identity relies so heavily on falsehoods you'll do whatever it takes to deny the truth.