Home > Forum, Guestbook & Blog

Go Back   The Den of Discourse > Dave's Blog

Old 19th March 2006, 11:47 AM   #1
Dave
Your friendly local necromancer

New Zealand Text Bullying

The day before school started this year, 12-year-old Alex from Putaruru died. The exact circumstances have not been publicised but the death has been linked to ruthless text bullying she was subjected to. Alex's mother Deanne Teka went public with the story to help raise awareness of this worrying problem.

My own daughter regularly tells me about text bullying amongst teenagers. It's rampant.

I don't understand why it has taken so long for anyone to care about this. It seems that there is no real control of cellphones at school and no recourse for victims. I feel that a task force needs to be set up to look at solutions. People who text bully should be dealt with immediately and severely. Perhaps we need to go so far as licence cellphones or keep a list of offenders who are not permitted to operate one.

A bit drastic? Let's put it in perspective: A 12-year-old girl is dead and she's not the first - two others have died in the same town in the last year under similar cirumstances - I think that's drastic. When kids are dying we need to take serious action.

If the telephone companies had any sense of responsibility they would be getting more involved with this. Text bullying has been around for a number of years so they do know about it. To be fair, Telecom and Vodafone have some bullying advice on their websites, but it's not much more than a token gesture IMO.

These companies sell a product which is wide open to abuse, specifically targetted at the very market which is most likely to abuse it (young people). Although only a small percentage of users abuse texting, you could argue the same about drugs - only a small number of users are abusers but we punish the suppliers badly.

I don't think we should treat Telecom like drug dealers but at the same time, they are the ones making a lot of money out of texting. We know that texting has a nasty effect on a small number of people so those profitting from the product should be expected to financially contribute to the solution.

Similar rules apply to other companies, for example, the TAB is required to contribute to programs which help fight problem gambling. The same should apply to any company that profits from products which have negative consequences in society.
Old 14th May 2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Annon

Im being bullied

Im not sure how old this thread is or if anyone will see this but since Friday I have been text bullied. I have no idea what to do, I'm well out of high school but the things that are being said are nasty and are really getting to me. All I want to know is who it is and why they are doing this to me. They have said that my unborn child is going to die soon followed by haha bitch. Im so embarrassed because Im old enough to know not to let it get to me but it has and Im actually really scared. I can see how it could cause someone to take the next step. I don't know this person and they won't tell me who they are. They know my name, my husbands name and other personal info (although not a lot) but won't tell me why they are doing this to me. Just calling me horrible names. I feel so helpless, worst thing is it's a work phone they are texting and I can't change the number. Im too embarrassed to tell anyone.

Old 15th May 2006, 10:36 AM   #3
rebecca bright

re; clint houston im sorry mate bout your troubles we feel 4 you and know your pain

As i read the comments from a student telling us about some of the nonsence that goes on. I am so upset for these students who try to do well and are constantly picked on and humiliated .I am a mum of a ten year old girl we live in a country area of christchurch and similarily have had the same problems that young clint has advised us of, my daughter started getting bullied not long after starting school here 12 mths ago.My daughter is above her age in almost every subject we have never as a family had issues with how we look or try to out do anyone in fashion but the hairy truth out there is that if you are not thin georgous trendy or rich you just wont be able to fit in .In my duughters case she is smart beautiful and just happens to be from a family of bigger chilren who happen to thin out once puberty hits. naturally weight has never been an issue for us but have been blatently been told by teachers to put my ten year old on a diet and the bulling will stop once she loses weight .I rufuse to accept this and have made arrangments to move.What the hell is going on in our teachers heads.Some of the things they say should be outlawed.Wake up newzealand pull your head in will ya...........

Old 15th May 2006, 11:12 AM   #4
holly

Smile poor alex

Hi: Clint I saw your post on the internet about your school
That is disgusting, if you want I have a good idea what you could do, <Iíd help even thought I donít know Alex>
Well I thought you could make a free piczo www.piczo.com website in memory of her/him
Email me what you think. Or even if you make your own website and have a page dedicated to her .
It is really sad how she died .please email me back hotchick10_1995@hotmail.com
Hey , is your school in nz

Old 16th May 2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Dave
Your friendly local necromancer

My advice for anyone experiencing text bullying is to go to the police. I can't guarantee how well they will respond but they did take a complaint my daughter made seriously (sadly the offender's parents didn't take it so seriously).

Text bullying is an offence and you can press charges.

I also think this problem is serious enough that some sort of support or lobby group could be set up. If there is enough interest in this idea I could be willing to donate a website/forum to help get it started.

This site may also be worth a look:
www.stoptextbully.com
Old 17th May 2006, 08:04 AM   #6
Gemma Carl

Red face im younger than u but listen it might help ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annon
Im not sure how old this thread is or if anyone will see this but since Friday I have been text bullied. I have no idea what to do, I'm well out of high school but the things that are being said are nasty and are really getting to me. All I want to know is who it is and why they are doing this to me. They have said that my unborn child is going to die soon followed by haha bitch. Im so embarrassed because Im old enough to know not to let it get to me but it has and Im actually really scared. I can see how it could cause someone to take the next step. I don't know this person and they won't tell me who they are. They know my name, my husbands name and other personal info (although not a lot) but won't tell me why they are doing this to me. Just calling me horrible names. I feel so helpless, worst thing is it's a work phone they are texting and I can't change the number. Im too embarrassed to tell anyone.
hi im gemma and have an idea if u dont no whos got ur number or if anybodys got anything against u ither tell someone who cares change your number or what i would say is ignore it but every 1 says that to me and its 2 be honest easier sid than done so ont try that please my email address is furbycarlo@supanet.com or u could txt bak try n find out who it is ok.

Old 29th May 2006, 10:11 AM   #7
?!?!?!

Smile Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma Carl
hi im gemma and have an idea if u dont no whos got ur number or if anybodys got anything against u ither tell someone who cares change your number or what i would say is ignore it but every 1 says that to me and its 2 be honest easier sid than done so ont try that please my email address is furbycarlo@supanet.com or u could txt bak try n find out who it is ok.
I DONT KNOW U CUD JUST ELL THEM 2 #### OFF

Old 12th June 2006, 02:03 PM   #8
Aana Teka

Exclamation Text Bullying

Hi. My Names Aana Teka. I am the sister of Alex Teka who took her life due to txt bullying.
First of all i just want to thank all of you have actually discussed the issue, most people just look at it and shrug it off. But I think its something we need to address.
Secondly, Clint thanks for acknowledging Alex. I read it at the end of your messege and i nearly cried.
People are Dying, and Alex isnt the first to take her own life. And people dont do anything about it, probably becasue they have done it themselves and have people who they keep on their phone that they like to txt bully.. or they keep their numbers so that other people can have them. Its a cruel world and I dont understand it.
Alex turned 13 a few weekends ago and it was the hardest thing. She hadnt even made it to a teenager yet.
Life goes on though aye.
Thanks for reading.
C ya.

Old 27th June 2006, 10:41 PM   #9
Laura TMC

Angry Horric Issue caused by cowards

Hey guys
im duin a project 4 NCEA on TXT Bullying, and the more i research this topic, the more horrified i become.
It is absolutely discusting the things teens today are duing to their peers.
So many inocent, great people are being targeted by these cowards, i hate what this new, sneaky form of bullying is duin 2 our generation. They often would not be like this face to face, so why say things over a txt that aren't true, and destroy people's lives?
Alex Teka did not deserve this, my friends do not deserve this, i do not deserve this.
- Laura

Old 15th July 2006, 08:57 AM   #10
timew

Thumbs down thats a shame

i really think that none of this should evre happen